Sunday, March 23, 2008

French Pinot From Baden

I have tried this wine a couple of times..and have given it high marks...even though friends thought I had overdone it. So..after the successful Pinot Tasting still in my mind..I decided to try it again.
Fritz Waßmer Spätburgunder 'R' 2004
Baden, Germany
This is the most 'French Burgundy' German wine I have ever tasted..reminds me of the old days..and this grower learned his trade over the border..lovely ripe, smoky aroma..perfect balance..sweet fruit..no heavyweight....just strawberry heaven..what else would a lover of the grape wish for?...
Points 18.....and I'm
sticking by it.


Easter means...coloured eggs!

2 comments:

Lyle Fass said...

Visited Wassmer is February and was impressed although he makes so many different cuvees of Pinot it was a bit confusing. Lovely guy and truly impressive Pinot's but I still find him in 2nd tier below Rebholz, Furst, Heger, Schnaittman etc.

Barry said...

It is the 'old-fashioned' style that I love..I grew up 'wine-wise'...on French wines like this.
The Fürst 'R' 2005.. I have re-ordered..superb.
Heger also excellent...the 2003 one of the best of the vintage.
Not tried Rebholz yet..
but could buy
Schaittman's Simonroth Spätburgunder trocken 2006.
You recommend it Lyle?