Saturday, June 11, 2011

Hysteria in South Styria

Maybe not that dramatic...but headlines sell papers.
It is certainly worth getting excited about...the Südsteiermark (South Styria) is making some excellent wines with the Sauvignon Blanc grape. If you are looking for the tart, green style...look away now...cos you ain't gonna find it in SS.
My first experience of Sauvignon Blanc...like many back then in the 70's...was Sancerre. Then New Zealand burst onto the scene and it became very 'in'. Many were green and too tarty for me....something I don't like in my wine (and never had liked in my choice of women!...meaning those before I married...phew...good job I added that or my wife would hit me with the frying pan!). Vie de Romans Piere 2004 from Italy was memorable...and the aforementioned Sancerre...François Cotat's wines are very special. Recently a couple of German versions have impressed...and many properties , especially in the Pfalz, are producing good SB. But...the place to get the best right now...is Austria. Prove it you say! Read on...

Jaunegg Muri Sauvignon Blanc 2007
South Styria, Austria
Large oak barrels...I was getting excited about this one...yellow-green colour...An explosion of ripe gooseberry and lychees really make you sit up...elegant, juicy...cassis even...and very fine acidity....got me thinking I should purchase this.
Didn't enjoy being left overnight...not it's fault. Buy it maybe...and share it with someone...or drink a whole bottle at once and dream of the fairies!
Points 17.25





Sattlerhof Sauvignon Blanc
Kranachberg 2007

South Styria, Austria
Top property...Willi Sattler in the saddle (I like that description)...
Glass Stopper...so...Cork Screw back in the drawer...

Barrique...This is top cinema...a slick slider...a smooth operator. A nose that appealed and evolved over 2 days....oily stones....mango...and gooseberry...but if you are looking for the razor sharp kind...please leave the room now.
You won't find them in the 'Steiermark'...and that's why I am here. This has low residual sugar levels...it is a middle-weight boxer with a light-weight's dancing feet. 'Don't dare call me fat' it says....and then defies your criticism by bouncing over the palate...great feel in the mouth...and if you only gave me one word to describe it...'glossy'.
Points 17.5 -17.75...don't nail me down....cos this will get even better.
PS...I also bought the 'Private 2007' which is supposed to be even better that this wine!

No comments: