Saturday, June 04, 2011

Green Grows The Garden & Veltliner

I hate the cold....and, even though I am English, I hate rain. I hate snow (in Germany...we have to daily clear away any that lies outside our house)... and I hate bad wines. OK...now...what do I love. The warmth of summer, sitting in the garden with the flowers in full bloom, sipping on a glass of wine as the last rays caress the body (very exotic I know...but it really is the best part of a hot day).




My mixed case of Austrian whites is disappearing. Grüner Veltliner notes can sometimes sound so similar...but trying various properties over a period of days...watching them develop with airing, smelling and feeling the individuality of the grower....yes...I love it!




Holzapfel Achleiten Grüner Veltliner 2009
Wachau, Austria
Ripe yellow apple smell...this seems light & fluffy...and there is a 'spritz' feel to it...developed the usual pepper...
Points 16












Nigl Grüner Veltliner Reserve 2009
Kremstal, Austria
Flowery nose...this reminded me of a Condrieu...sweet apples flavour...and some lemon acidity...super minerals...ripe fruit...complex...exotic fruit and good finish.
Points 17













Cheeses were...Brie, Swiss Mountain(forget to ask), Brillat Savarin and one of those that a cheese lover would frown on.















Salomon Undhof Grüner Veltliner Lindberg Reserve 2009
Kremstal, Austria
Honeyed melons, yellow apple aroma, tobacco, white pepper palate, spices...although the palate slightly contradicts the bouquet...minerals and vibrant acidity...two days later...the palate catches up...
Points 16.75









Tegernseerhof Grüner Veltliner Smaragd Höhereck 2009
Wachau, Austria
Best of the four...and another I could compare to a fine Condrieu....my style of GV...opulent...pear and apple aromas...a layer of fruit treats the palate...could not stop drinking this...bottle almost empty....sun gone down...tomorrow soccer...love that as well...life is hard sometimes...but you get rewards like this...anyone listening?
Points 17.25

1 comment:

Sweet Lily said...

Wonderful! Absolutely wonderful!