Friday, March 05, 2010

Red Portugal, White Italy, Green Austria

No...I am not repeating the last post by mistake....just a similar selection from some mixed cases recently purchased....
Passadoura Reserva 2004
Douro, Portugal
Deep purple-rimmed...a very 'cool' nose...not a blockbuster...but a gentle introduction....enticing you back....as with the prevous posted red from Portugal...ripe, dense tannins...with super fruit...a touch chewy if you are adverse to this style...but...as I said before...great reds from Portugal really appeal to me.
Points 17.5

Cusumano Chardonnay Jale 2007
Sicily, Italy
Another white from Italy...100% Chardonnay...from 10 year old vines...this one way down at the 'foot'...a strong metallic impression...something I detect often in young Chardonnay...it throws it off for a while...but never really loses it...a delicate style for the hot area...none of the overdone oak...did show some vanilla.....needs a year or two methinks...
Points 16





Can I convince you 'non-converted' to try a good Sauerkraut?...probably not with this photo as it bubbles away...with blood and liver 'Würst'....perfect for Riesling...but also a 'marriage' for a GV.





Weingut Knoll Gruner Veltliner
Smaragd Ried Schütt 2002

Wachau, Austria
A difficult year I am told...yellow-gold colour...much deeper than most...ripe, ripe melons...very intense...extreme spices...but the minerals just about reign it all in...I love Knoll's versions of this grape...and one of my favourite 'old-style' label...
Points 17.25

1 comment:

Edward said...

I can see Kangaroo paws behind the knoll, but what is the object on the right?