Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Ebay Success

This is a first...I have never bid for any wines on Ebay before...but on a whim...and finding 3 different offers of Mayer-Näkel wines...I made some offers...and had 33.3% success with 2 bottles of the 2004 Vintage...at about half the price it would have cost in the shops. I guess the important points when bidding are...
1. Set out your price limit and
2. Decide you really want the wine..and are not just bidding because a wine may be cheaper.
The 2 bottles arrived...and after the usual rest period...I opened one...to go with some mild Indian food. Man...was it delicious.

Mayer-Näkel Spätburgunder S 2004
Ahr, Germany
An instant nose success...smoke, tobacco...some mushrooms...enticing smell...surprisingly...this is very mature...red berry fruit...layed-back coolness...the tannins rippling alongside the gentle acidity which covers the oak beautifully. Am I waxing lyrically here...YES...I AM!!!...and I am very proud of my first auction-wine. I asked the seller why he was offering it...he needed the money elsewhere was the answer...and he had a couple more bottles. Marks...well...I get told I overdo it with my favourite grape...and the 18 point mark is holy...so I'll give it..
Points 17.75

No comments: