Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Pinot Patience

Two recent purchases...that...although give pleasure now...need time to 'beautify'...spots, pimples and gawkiness still evident...but a treasure lies beneath. How's that for an erotic start to this post!

Karl Johner Blauer Spätburgunder SJ 2005
Baden, Germany
You don't see the SJ on winelists too often...the last time I had it was in a restaurant...the 2003...
Deepish colour...dark cherry aroma...in fact...a real 'dark' feel to it...until the palate...where there is sweet strawberries and a very lively acidity...needs a few years
Points 17




Schlumberger Altenberg Pinot Noir GG 2007
Baden, Germany
A first from this property...I am going to try the basic 'S' in a few days...but can't resist a 'Grosses Gewächs' when I enter my wine cellar.
This spends 12 months in...mostly...new oak. Tears can make you happy...the glass dripped with them (see photo)...soft cherry fruit...with a layer of vanilla...and the complex tannins saying...drink me now if you are impatient (I admit it!)...but lie me down in some dark corner (which reminds me of my mispent youth...ahhh..the girls I left behind).And...the best dressed girls are not always the best...but I do like this label...very classy...
Points 17.25

No comments: