Sunday, October 04, 2009

Drinking Between Phone Calls

As the business has been taking most of my time recently....the daily ritual has been to go into the cellar shortly before dinner...choose a bottle I deserved for my efforts that day...and just try to enjoy and relax.
The 3 that follow were welcome 'payment'....and as the phone inevitably rings during a meal...only sparse notes of the wines....
Weinmanufaktur Untertürkheimer Lemberger Barrique *** trocken 2004
Württemberg, Germany
Dumb nose at first....not too forthcoming....but was better after the first phone call. Thick juice..intense...berry bomb with chewy topping..built to last.....earthy ..reminded me of old style Bordeaux.
Points 16.5






Sirloin Tips in a creamy sauce with Pasta.....can't remember which day...but I remember how good it was.

Sometime in between all these wines..I opened a bargain. I say that as it was a gift with the case of Spanish wines I purchased. Even if you had to pay for this..it still gives you plenty for your dollar..price was about € 4,-- Cepunto..no vintage visible..100% Tempranillo...furry tannins....raspberry fruit...liquorice...and my wife used some in a sauce..commenting..'Perfect for cooking'


Kuhn Kirschgarten PinotNoir G.G. trocken 2006
Pfalz, Germany
I like Kuhn's wines.....his Sauvignon Blanc had impressed..as had the other Spätburgunder of this vintage. First impression...class...Pfalzer terroir..excellent balance..lovely weight in the mouth..and a fine even finish. This held up over 2 days which says a lot for this fine grower.
Points 17.5




Reinhold & Cornelia Scheider
Spätburgunder *** C trocken 2006

Baden, Germany
Priced at € 20,--.......this offers a perfumed wine. Fruit driven..elegant..small strawberries..but no softy..plenty of grip...which gave pleasure a day later. Another property you can rely on.
Points 17

No comments: