Friday, July 27, 2007

Pinot Here Pinot There

About 2 years ago I took part in a blind tasting of over 20 Pinot Noir/Spätburgunder Wines.
About a third were from Austria..another third from Germany....the rest from elsewhere....
What struck me was the very different interpretation of the grape and how different people go about marking in this type of tasting. I went along with 'Burgundy' style in my mind...that to me is what the wines from South Germany are about. My marking at the tasting was higher for the Germans than for the Austrians..Why?..because, although the Austrians were good wines...they were made in the 'Austrian' style.....and were not what I was expecting for the grape. Tasted on their own..I think I would have marked them higher. Others at the tasting marked them well..but not the German wines as they did not know the style..with the Austrians more similar to the other styles they drank regularly.
Talking about.......



Markowitsch 2004 Pinot Noir
Carnuntum, Austria

Red brick colour with lightish rim; gentle fruit aroma, quite reserved for the grape; first impressions were of a soft attractive flavour with a stiff backbone......and here I think is my problem...they throw in a 'dose' of the Zweigelt grape. The wine is quite intensive, had a good finish....with a touch too much dryness maybe.
Points 16

Gerhard und Christine Markowitsch's estate is located in the small town of Göttlesbrunn in the Carnuntum wine-growing region in Austria. Gerhard Markowitsch is an innovative winemaker, and is considered to be one of the founders of the „red wine miracle“ in this region. The Austrian wine magazine Falstaff named him „Winemaker of the year1999“.

No comments: