Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Barbecue Beauties

A hot barmy evening..friends had invited us to a barbecue evening...nothing for us to do but eat and drink!....our host Volker tries very very hard to make sure...
1. I get great wines
2. That I have trouble guessing them















Niersteiner Brudersberg
Spätlese trocken 1990
Freiherr Heyl zu Herrnsheim
Nierstein am Rhein, Rheinhessen, Germany
Half bottle: Yellow gold colour...hey..this is good..
I guessed not French..trace of petroleum which I love in older Riesling.so..it must be aged...maybe 15 years...but where from...lovely palate..quite full(12%)...just the last touch of dryness..otherwise a real pleaser..
OK..take the cover off..
Germany!!..
Volker had heard that the vineyard were selling
off some stock cheaply as they needed cellar space
as they are joining forces with another company...
He had bought 6 half bottles at...wait for it...Euros 2.50 each... that's $ 3.40..but in any money..it must be the bargain par none...he is kicking himself he didn't get more...I could have kicked him as well under the table...
Points 17.5

Dr.Crusius Traiser Frühburgunder 2005
Nahe, Germany
Again not allowed to see the label....grrrr....I said Pinot Noir/Spätburgunder....it was medium deep in colour..Germany I thought....creamy, 'creme brulée' nose..but it was the grapes 'baby brother'..Frühburgunder...served slightly cool(it was 30 degrees in the garden)...very good indeed for the money(under 10 Euros)....the Spätburgunder from the vineyard must be good.
This was tried on me as I had not raved about the young Rieslings from this grower..
Points 16.5






Ciccio Zaccagnini San Clemente 2004
Montepulciano d’Abruzzo, Italy
Deep, dark brooding colour, purple rimmed;
animal aromas, softend in glass, marzipan..
even cream; meaty flavour with the dry 'brittle'
tannins I like in Italian wines...I should
have guessed what it was..
as I have the 2003 in my cellar...
Points 17.5+










and last but not least...from the same 'Sale Of The Century'
Brudersberg Riesling Auslese 1999
Freiherr Heyl zu Herrnsheim
Nierstein am Rhein, Rheinhessen, Germany
This half bottle cost Euros 6.....gorgeous desert wine, necktar yes..but doing what only Germany can..produce sweet-dry wines..if you know what I mean...with all
the food and wine...I think I gave this
Points 17.5..but may have been more...

No comments: