Saturday, December 29, 2012

Christmas Scrooge


Wine coincidences...and it was only after I prepared a post for the blog....that I noticed a Vintage coincidental to all three whites drunk over the Christmas period.
You remember how Christmas used to be...?  if you are of a certain age....then you will!
Now the supermarkets are decorated in the middle of November...and I receive a Christmas card on the 28th of that month and grimace.
This has turned me into a Christmas Scrooge...but over the THREE Christmas days I was willing to open a few bottles.
As a starter...a photo of a decorated corner of our living room.




Louis Jadot Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru 2008
Burgundy, France.

My guess is that younger wine lovers probably never even think to buy or try white Burgundy. The worldwide choice is so large that many other 'Chardonnays' are purchased.....after all...it says Chardonnay on the label.
If you are a touch older...I am a club member...then your 'wine youth' meant that the only decent 'Chards' were from France. You learned the best properties by heart...you knew that a Chassagne-Montrachet could be topped by a Puligny-Montrachet...and the height of ecstacy was a Montrachet!
Classic wines...elegant...sexual...
Louis Jadot was around back then...producing a complete range of all that is Burgundian...operating both it's own vineyards and also having a Négociant business.
They are still with us today...and a tip from a wine magazine tempted me to buy a couple of bottles. Good Burgundy was and is...never cheap.
This is not for your oaked Chardonnay lovers...this is delicate...and fine Burgundy is sometimes indescribable...it is just IT. Citrus with a nutty touch. The gentle creamy feel spread over the palate...and the back-end...is where you just know it must be Burgundy.
Points 17.25




Christmas day and my wife had prepared three Fondue varieties. One Cheese...one normal Broth with four sorts of meat...and an Asian Broth for the Prawns.
The variety asked for a white that could cope with all of the above...plus the assorted sauces.





F.X. Pichler Grüner Veltliner Smaragd 'M' 2008
Wachau, Austria

One of my favourite whites is the M from Pichler. My decision to open this was down to the fact that I have two more...so try one to see it's developement.
Ripe aromas of tropical fruit...I served this in large glasses...hidden acidity...which emerged when it had gasped at air...as did the minerality which these top Smaragd wines need.
They initial 'sweetness' is only part of a delicious package. Layers of fruit...and surprisingly ese wines can age up to 10 years or more.
Perfect with the food...great length...super.
Points 17.75






Christmas means eating the rest of the food over the next few days...so on Boxing day...my wife conjured up a 'Thai-Style' curry from the Asian Broth and it was served with some more Prawns.



Into the cellar and my only bottle of Condrieu...2008...
Guigal Condrieu 2008
Rhone, France

Condrieu hardly ever ages...a couple of properties I have tried have been fine...Yves Cuilleron's Les Chaillets and Guigal's La Doriane...but these are exceptions. Unlike other White Rhone...they need to be drunk fairly young.
This is Guigal's basic Condrieu...and the nose was a touch flat...then a hidden smell of almonds emerged...there is not much acidity...which there never is...but the wine is still very palatable.
Points 16.5
This had me comparing the Viognier of the Rhone with Grüner Veltliner from Austria...with the latter usually offering a more mineral flinty touch...I never thought I would be untrue to an old love!!!




Schlossgut Diel Pinot Noir Cuvee Caroline 2008
Nahe, Germany

Opened before Christmas...but fits in nicely with the Vintage theme.
Pale ruby...freshness on the nose...cherries...and a dry spice...elegant and pleasing if a shade disappointing when I compare it to previous years. A second bottle will be given sleeping time.
Points 17





So those were my Christmas drinks...
Oh...and before I forget...HAPPY EASTER!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice wines Barry, bravo.
Happy New Year from Canada.

Bob.