Friday, September 18, 2009

Lamb To The Slaughter

I like Lamb!......which being English..may not surprise anyone. As a child..Sunday lunch was traditional..and Roast Lamb with Mint Sauce (don't knock it 'til you've tried it) was a regular. Nowadays..there are so many variations of Lamb on offer..and our local meeting place 'Mitch's Bistro'..always has some on the menu in some form or other. Regular readers will know we meet here..we being Volker, Robert and myself...and can bring our own wines. Usually I plan and bring..but this time Robert decided he wanted to bring the wines...which..he being in the wine trade...is not a bad thing. We ordered starters.. then checked the boards for a main course. The Lamb Carré in a Mustard Crust sounded good (I should know). Mitch..the Bistro owner arrived..took the main orders from my companions...then looked at me and said...'For You The Lamb in Mustard'....it wasn't a question either...I hung my head...he smiled..and turned away. Predictability can be very hurtful....the Lamb was great... so 'Yah Boo' to all of the doubters. I like Lamb!

Three bottles of reds...covered.....hardly any help from Robert with information.....I'll get my own back next time. Guess...and be dammed was the order of the evening.

Domaine Tollot-Beaut
Beaune-Clos-Du-Roi Premier Cru 2006
Burgundy, France
Pale-rimmed...perfumed nose at first..then a definite mushroom aroma..dusty..fine fruit...elegant and charming....really about ready...although a soft tannin coating will ensure a few years.
Points 16.25
Robert hardly gives you time to haggle....so just before revealing the label..I said...desperately...New Zealand Pinot Noir. Does guessing the grape get me any points...you would say no......because Pinot is easy to recognize you may say....read on...and learn otherwise...



Bouchard Finlayson Tete de Cuvée
Galphin Peak Pinot Noir 2001
Walker Bay, South Africa
75% spends 14 months in new oak barrels. Deepish colour..not Pinot then....first whiff showed a slight defect....this never really disappeared...animal smells...just stopped short of brett..not Pinot then (you see where I am leading with this?)...quite thick...intense flavour...a contrast to the nose....but still no hint of Pinot.An 'old-fashioned' style of wine was my comment. Really rather good..and would have faired better but for the nose defect.....''get a nose job done and change your life!''
Points 16.5
Volker & I were in the Rhône...Syrah, Granache....or New World maybe...I don't think I have had a Pinot more un-Pinot like.....you live & learn.

Gantenbein Pinot Noir 2007
Fläsch, Switzerland
Here my guess was Germany...this reminded me of the Fürst style in Franken......a final help from Robert was that we had tried another vintage of this wine.....which is true..the 2005. In fact..I tried the 2007 in May...when it was closed....amazing what a few months can do. Beautiful cherry nose...cream and marzipan on the palate..beautiful balance...'yum yum' was Robert's comment...elegant...strawberry fruit...long finish.
Points 18
What you don't get on the label...which is short and to the point..you certainly get in the bottle.

As usual...a splendid evening....

No comments: