Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Riesling And My Saumagen

Koehler-Ruprecht Kallstadter Saumagen
Riesling Auslese trocken 2007
Pfalz, Germany
First up..a Saumagen is a pig's stomach!
Second up...I love owner Bernd Philippi's Spätburgunder....
and Thirdly...I'm not an expert...but an experienced imbiber....and the one grape that gives me more problems is German Riesling...just when I think I can spot the ones I like..up pops another which should have thrilled me instead of leaving me a touch disappointed. You have to know the grower....and after spending the last 2 summers tasting a whole range and styles...Spätlese trockens being my most popular...and some Kabinett trockens depending on the property....I purchased the bottle below..this 'sounded' good.....
Result....well...maybe it is me...my fellow Blogger Kyle..who drinks a wide range of Germany's Best would maybe find the wine more to his style..he is younger and can take the acidity...but my stomach always gives me pre-warning..which I sometimes heed..but this wine seems 'tarty' at the moment...gives very little on the nose..was that a touch of cork...sniff again...if yes..then hardly noticeable...but this was a real 'pain' to drink. Only answer is....still too young....but nearly all of the 2007's....a very good vintage...have shown something in their youth.....and it's no way a bad wine...just so awkward...in the hope that we will one day be compatible..
Points 16

No comments: