Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Never Ending Pleasure....

Our twice yearly pilgrimage to 'Rebstock' in Kappelrodeck-Waldulm
Tuesday 5th May 2009
Something I knew to start off the holiday...drank last time we were here..and only 2 bottles were left in the cellar...
R & C Schneider Spätburgunder 2005
'Parzelle Schönenberg'
Baden, Germany
Developing nicely....with the soft charm of the 2005's
Points 18
I have heard the 2006 is even better..but been unable to find it..however..Karl Hodapp..owner of 'Rebstock' has purchased the 2007..next time....
Food was slices of Roast Duck....











Wednesday 6th May 2009
Next day was a difficult one...as our business back home followed me..I spent part of the day in the vineyards talking to Africa and Paris...and the evening meal was interrupted.
The wine chosen in a Bocksbeutel bottle..which you may think belongs only to Franken..but had been used in Baden since the 18th Century
Schloss Neuweier Riesling Goldenes Loch Spätlese trocken 2007
Baden, Germany





Pale yellow with green tinges..delicate..citrus & peach tones...smooth...and maybe a touch too much.. I would have enjoyed a little spicy bite..but very well made.

Points 16.5
Fish was a 'Steinbeisser'

Thursday 7th May 2009
The hottest day yet..and the morning spent with Herr Hodapp viewing a new 'terraced' vineyard..not the norm for the area...then a visit to the Cooperative cellar in Waldulm to meet cellarmaster Herr Laible. He kindly presented Herr Hodapp & myself with recently bottled Waldulmer Pfarrberg Spätburgunder Auslese trocken Barrique 2007........then in the afternoon a 2-hour stroll through the vineyards with my wife..and dinner outside on the wonderful terrace.
Huber Spätburgunder 'R' Wildenstein 2005
Baden, Germany
Tasted this a year ago when it was bulging but not bursting..12 months on and it is opening...clear ruby-red..packed with minerals and with layers of ripe red fruit..the magic marzipan feel...this will be a yearly 'must' drink..maybe half-yearly if I over-indulge.
Points 18.25
Friday 8th May 2009
Slept long..and missed the breakfast buffet...got a call...did we want breakfast in bed...
Gantenbein Pinot Noir 2007
Fläsch, Switzerland
I first found 'Gantenbein' in this restaurant..it was the 2004 and I was so impressed I searched out the 2005 for my cellar. Karl Hodapp has it on his list..but a visit to his winecellar meant I caught a glimpse of a planned addition to the wine-list..the 2007 vintage
Quite deep colour...very reserved aroma..still quite closed...plenty of acidity masking soft tannins...I know it was infantile..but nosey wine imbibers are commonplace..
Points 17.5 but more to come...

Saturday 9th May 2009
My wife was not feeling great...and I decided to eat on our balcony....
Simple food..Veal Schnitzel & Pommes Frites..and a half-bottle of white.
My wife felt well enough to steal a few 'Chips/Fries'



Bercher Feuerberg Weissburgunder Grosses Gewächs Spätlese trocken 2007

Baden, Germany
A hefty 14%..but not that noticable..one-dimensional at first..but opened and filled out with 'balcony' airing...sweet apple..lively acidity..cream and spices....very ripe fruit...
Points 16.75
Sunday 10th May 2009
Afternoon watching the local soccer team win 6-0....
Decided on a Bordeaux from the extensive choice of the Vintage 2000
Chateau Carruades de Lafite 2000
Pauillac, Bordeaux, France
Deep...very deep..colour..gentle soft cassis nose..but surprisingly lots of acidity.. I expected more charm and it certainly benefited from airing....earthy style so typical of Pauillac...a long future....but not showing at it's best at the moment.
Points 17
I sent a glass into the kitchen to Herr Hodapp.....
As I finished the bottle..I was asked if I could manage a glass of a Spätburgunder just given as a present from a grower....I guess I could squeeze a drop more through the lips


Stigler Freiburg Schlossberg Grosses Gewächs Spätburgunder Spätlese trocken 2003
Baden, Germany
The Freiburger Schlossberg is a lesser known GG in Baden...Stigler being only one of three owners.
A one-off style...never had a Stigler before...but this is really an individual...pale colour...mature..and the bouquet was more dark fruit than typical Pinot...blackberry and blueberry...
I would have loved to have had more of this...but I needed to be fit for our return journey next morning..
Points 17.5


I had DVD'd a football match....but was told the result by mistake....and as my team had lost 2-0...I was placated with 2 Petits Fours....

No comments: