Monday, September 21, 2009

Baden Buys

On my trip to Baden...I purchased a few bottles....The Drautz-Able had been a big hit with me....
Heinemann Spätburgunder Scherzinger Batzenberg Barrique 2005
Baden, Germany
I always try to bring a wine back that you just don't see outside of the area. Heinemann has never caught my eye on any list.It is well made..a gentle developement as it aired...a pleaser at the dinner table. My 'diiner' was some merguez sausages...with a touch of spice...rather like chorizo. The wine paired nicely...has hidden talent. Ths is mid-range in price....wouldn't drive miles to buy one...but quite good.
Points 16

Fritz Wassmer Spätburgunder
Alte Rebe 2006

Baden, Germany
There are two Wassmer Brothers..both in Bad Krozingen-Schlatt. Fritz just ahead of Martin in quality.This 'Alte Rebe' reminds me of French Burgundy on the nose....the vines are cloned-Pinot...prickly taste..brambly strawberry..sweet oak. I thought Vosne-Romanèe...BUT...Wassmer's wines need some time to remove the oak...they are a bit much after 2 glasses at this age. Next day...had dived....
Points 17

I like Schnitzel!......well...when it is done right....it is tasty...but I am just kidding you after the last post. I like most things...particularly fresh mushrooms...short time in the pan....'au naturel'...with the two previous ingredients there was sliced potatoes with yellow and green paprika...and some pepperonis in there. My wife often does the potatoes in cream in the oven..this time a dryer lighter dish. Delicious.
And so to the wine.....
Fritz Wassmer Spätburgunder XXL 2005 trocken Barrique
Baden, Germany
As the 'Alte Rebe' had gone downhill next day...I quickly decided to open this top wine from the property.This is a touch 'cooler' in style...the oak less obtrusive..but still needing time...nose more layed-back...dark berries...some tobacco...time..time..time...
Points 17.25
Strange....both Wassmer wines were not drinkable next day....stinky nose.....you can't expect all wines to hold 24 hours....but still seems strange...

No comments: