Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A Mispent Youth & Westerns

Bodegas Ortiz Mirabel 2006
Extremadura, Spain
A blend of 70% Temprenillo and 30% Cabernet Sauvignon...6 months in new French oak...and the hand of Anders Vinding-Diers.....son of well-known Peter...Medium deep colour....quite peppery on the nose...raspberries & plums...gentle oak..a touch of toffee & vanilla..and a slightly wild character that appeals to me (must be my mispent youth!)...
Points 16.5


















Santa Cruz de Artazu 2004
Navarra, Spain

100% old vine Garnacha here...60 year old vines...and when I see the name Navarra..I always think of a dry dusty dessert...too many cowboy films when I was young maybe...When tasting wines like this....and checking tasting notes from other sources...how it tastes etc..and how you see it at the moment..can be down to your tasting knowlege. After 30 years of wine tasting I have drunk some real closed-up tannic monsters......so maybe my palate understands wine different to a taster brought up on instant softness from a bottle..get my drift.....they maybe want to give it years....Young and purple colour....a cool aroma at first...then some herbs and spices...then prepared meat....the palate is more complex though..and shows an instant softness....then a easy tannic injection and a cherry-like flavour...enjoyable now..and will not doubt improve over 5 years....
Points 16.5

No comments: