Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Setting The Standard

I have been invited by friends to a tasting in a couple od days...theme Pinot Noir/Spätburgunder..so I thought I'd better try one to remind me how the grape tastes (it's been a few days since my last one..and the memory is poor..that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it).
Taking the last bottle of any good wine from a cellar...and thinking it will soon be kicking up the daisies in wine heaven..is hard..but not that hard..so another one bites the dust.
This was one of the first top wines I bought after discovering years ago that the reds in Germany could be the next big thing. They may still be......

Knipser Großkarlbacher Burgweg
Spätburgunder
Auslese Trocken 2003
Pfalz, Germany

A cross between Bordeaux and Burgundy was the first impression after opening....Knipser produces a dryer style...but over the next 10 minutes there were different layers..constant changes of aroma....dark berry fruit..cream..touch of velvet on the palate..but keeping it's dry style...still plenty of grip...good soft tannin structure...so well balanced in this hot vintage year...long finish. Still with enough power to show well the next day.
Points 17.75

Can the guys equal this at the tasting?.....

No comments: