Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Styles And Tastes

After finding the excellent wines of Adeneuer I have been investigating other vineyards from the Ahr. I read about Maibachfarm and ordered a 6-er mixed case. I was quite excited when I received them..and decided to work my way through them over a period of days.The vineyard was founded in 1998 by the Gatzmaga family.

Maibachfarm, Bad-Neuenahr-Ahrweiler
Ahr, Germany
The wines are all Spätburgunder trockens and
all spend time in Barrique

The first one was
Bachemer Karlskoff 2006
and the next day
Dernauer Hardtberg 2006

I could not separate them tasting-note wise...both closed, very rustical in style...with tannins masking any attractiveness that may or may not appear in the future.Both in a cocoon stage.. there are moments when you think you find something..plummy fruit..strawberries...

Points 15 for both

After the disappointment of the 2006's I decided to open a 2005 next..
Neuenahrer Sonnenberg 2005

This was much better...pale
colour..soft gentle oaky nose..strange..but this reminded me of a Bordeaux...St.Emilion...nice easy mouthful.. a completely different style. Whereas the previous two were like heavy footed bouncers..this was the slim go-go girl
Points 16.5

and finally
Ahrweiler Usulinengarten 2005
Again..very rustical in style..quite decent fruit..but not enticing..I need more from my Spätburgunder
Points 15.5

There is no doubting these wines have their own style..it's just not mine...
They may develope late..I can only guess.

They all won Gold Medals at tastings..but it's down to styles and tastes
The other 2 bottles I will hold on to..maybe get a surprise...

No comments: