Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Ahr First Growth # 1

Kreuzberg Neuenahrer Schieferlay Spätburgunder 2004
"Grosses Gewächs" trocken
Ahr, Germany

First one of the 'Ahr Six' is probably the least known...start at the bottom and work up I thought..but this will take some beating.
Medium deep fading to a most definite orange rim..no denying what this is....served in a large Burgundian glass..the perfume was..well...perfumed..with a burnt aroma at first...first sip gave an impression this is gonna be a real elegant wine...swilling it in the mouth as I made for the kitchen to try some paprikas in oil..it just developed with every stride..juicy fruit..just so perfect..a soft explosion and a good finish...I returned to the bottle and poured again...ah...now we are getting to another stage..elegant, delicate WILD STRAWBERRIES..so persistant..and the whole wine just formed itself as one...really delicious...and 14.5% alcohol..you would not know it..I was gonna finish it off the last third next day..but my wife beat me to it...
Points 18

No comments: