Monday, July 27, 2015

Riesling, Roter And A Red

Daughter number 3 had a birthday...and she wanted the family to go to our favourite Thai restaurant. She is not a wine drinker...nor is daughter number 2. Daughter number 1 is...and she had made it after having had an operation 2 days before. Her husband makes up the Vino-Trio.
I packed the two whites in all that was cold...and as a bonus...a red. With the hot weather red would not have been the correct choice...but we have a cooling period at the moment. The food was gorgeous...and I had a starter of Lab Gai. Dangerously spicy...it begs for a Riesling. I knew the Gaisberg would not be as good as the recent Heiligenstein...but was pleasantly surprised.

Hirsch Riesling Gaisberg 2009
Wachau, Austria
Flat is not the correct description...just that is not as lively as it's brother. 
It was still a delight though..
Points 16.75


Wine number two has a story. My first try had been at a local wine Bistro a year ago...where I had taken a bottle along. It had impressed all who had a sip. I decided to purchase 6 bottles...but the delivery turned out to be twelve. Over the last year it has been the 'present' whenever we were guests at friends. The feedback had been very positive. Now...with 3 bottles left it was time to try it again.
Josef Fritz Roter Veltliner Steinberg Privat 2012
Wagram, Austria
The nose has changed...the full fruit instant crowd-pleaser has become a delicate ripe aroma of almonds and honey. Thrilling minerals and a match for my Thai red curry. What a winner. The owner was offered a glass as he is very fair when I take my own wines. He beamed his Thai smile. The other two bottles will not be 'presented' unless of course they open them with me present.
Points 17.5

With the curry still available...we tried the Pinot Noir. With the food in mind...I had opted for a softer style...tannins do not harmonise with spices.

Schubert Pinot Noir Marion’s Vineyard 2010
Martinborough, New Zealand

Only a trace of spiky strawberries...otherwise soft, rounded, creamy and silky. Maybe a touch too much....a zip of anger would make this a very good wine...nevertheless...not to be sneezed at.
Points 17


 

No comments: