Friday, July 26, 2013

Miss Oleander 2013


Two examples of Austria's finest...both quality...but worlds apart in style and developement.
Both tried out in the garden...with my 'Wonder Oleander Bush'. 'He'...or maybe 'she'...had spent the winter indoors...but was naked to the bone four weeks ago...and after that last comment...'she' it is!
I have nutured her...bathed her...and now she is repaying me.
First up...
Willi Bründlmayer Riesling
Lyra Zöbinger Heiligenstein 2010
Kamptal, Austria

Still very austere...the sunshine wanted me to try a Riesling...and I risked this one. Old vines...fairly high acidity...which regular readers will know is not my 'scene'. I plowed on...blut oranges...citrus...and loads of minerals...and over three days it tried to show more...but hard work at the moment. One bottle in the cellar will be left for a couple of years
Points 16.5



Karl Alphart Rotgipfler Rodauner
Top Selektion 2009

Thermen Region, Austria

Never had the grape?. Rotgipfler sounds red...but is a white...and what a white. The nose throws up aromas of pear...and is very Burgundian...bananas, mangoes...very exotic. It
spends some time in new oak...and all the above evolves seamlessly onto the palate....compact bundle of minerals rolling around the mouth...salty even......delicious...and always something new to find.
Points 17.5


After the Riesling had trampled all over my back...this was a soft massage for the soul.

No comments: