Thursday, May 19, 2011

Notes 2

Claus Schneider Weiler Schlipf
Spätburgunder trocken *** CS 2007

Baden, Germany

This is starting to settle
down...the oak is singing in the background thankfully...and the cherry fruit is taking over the lead... very savoury....earthy & minerals...3 bottles left....
Points 17.25









Weingut Huber Hecklinger Schlossberg Spätburgunder 'R' 2007
Bad
en, Germany
I should have been on holiday at the moment...but as previously posted...my wife had an operation and a tour of Baden would not have been possible. Occassionally I think about our little heaven in Waldulm and a touch of sadness appears....we have re-booked for August though...but I decided to open a wine that Rebstock have on their list. I enjoyed it so much on a previous visit that I drove to the property to buy 3 bottles...which turned into 6...strike while the iron is hot...or maybe don't regret not buying more...whatever...half a dozen were put into my cellar. One has gone...and to compensate my vacation loss...another was to be opened on a Monday evening. Sweetish nose...with a juicy zip...traces of marzipan...a furry tannin covers the dark cherry fruit. Having had the pleasure of drinking a few Huber top wines...this is really very forward and drinkable...but methinks that disguises the fact that it will get better. It spends 18 months in new oak...but this is so well balanced...with minerals bouncing off the fruit...and a fine length of flavour. A perfect House Wine for Monday evenings...if I win the Lottery. Stick with this wine if you have it...I know my Hubers!
Points 17.75




Roc d'Anglade 'Clos de La Belle' 2004
Vin de pays du Gard, Languedoc

I last tri
ed this 3 years ago and bought a couple of bottles. It had REALLY impressed and showed it would develop more. Well..that WOW nose is a little less WOW...still Eucalyptus and minty...but reserved. A cool aroma nowadays...and the palate has also mellowed. Still reminds one of the Languedoc wild countryside...and there is a lively acidity...black olives...but I have to admit...the youthful version remains in the memory. Let's see how it develops.
Points 17








Hirtzberger Grüner Veltliner
Smaragd Honivogl 2009

Wachau, Austria

An
exotic bundle of fruit...Grapefruit, Orange....smokey tobacco....oriental spices. The honeyed fruit covers the lips...but hey...this is still young...a few years in the cellar will help. A beautiful balance to this wine...exotic has to be repeated...very ripe fruit...and intense minerals.
Points 17.5
but much more to come....

No comments: