Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Let Your Friend Choose The Wine

A warm summer evening..and friend Volker came over for dinner. My wife promised him 'something simple' but it never works out that way. Once she starts....








I led him into the cellar

1. So he could decide the white....he chose the GV over a 1989 Riesling from Alsace
2. To browse the Pinot Noir / Spätburgunder section...choose what he wanted.
I returned after 10 minutes...and he mentioned the Schmitt's Kinder.
Now...I have been mulling over drinking my last bottle for a few months now...but always thought...'drink it with somebody'
Why not tonight....? The wine had been a Pinot Cup winner in 2006 alongside a Gantenbein 2004! I had called the property and managed to buy 2 bottles


Someone wrote recently on the net that they liked GV's but it was difficult to fit them in a fridge. I don't have that problem. Part of the mid-tray opens up to make room for long slim bottles. Dedicated GV drinkers have to buy a new fridge!
Knoll Grüner Veltliner
Vinothekfüllung Smaragd 2004

Wachau, Austria
All you can ask for from this grape....creamy without any overweight...soft spices...slightly peppery...richly extracted...nutty...just delicious with both starters..and à point at the moment.
Points 17.25






Schmitts Kinder
Randersackerer Sonnenstuhl

Spätburgunder trocken „S“ 2004
Franken, Germany
Gorgeous perfumed aroma...fine...elegant ...cherries..persistant...very seductive..medium full velvety mouthful...so much charm...liquid marzipan with a juicyness to set the taste buds off...and a long finish. I doubt the property have bettered this...and if I had another bottle I could enjoy it in 5 years. Blame Volker!
Points 17.75

No comments: