Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day & Night

Summer is here....well...some days it is...and the Soccer World Cup has started. After 4 days of watching every(boring) game....the first sight of sunshine and I was out in the garden. The soccer will get better when the minnows are gone....and the vuvuzelas are quieter. Two evenings spent outside...with a slight breeze threatening to tip my glass over. The wines...like day and night.



First night....and my wife makes Hamburgers you can try to eat with your hands...but only if you have a mouth like a hippopotamus. Knife and fork for us normal people...eat your heart out McDonalds!
Luis Pato Vinha Pan 2005
Beiras, Portugal

Dark, brooding colour...stern...deep fruit...tannic grip...but no sexiness. Like the dark nights of winter. I could not get into this...and ended up watching the evening game of soccer
Points 16









Less breeze this night...and a bottle presented to my by Karl Hodapp at the end of our recent holiday. It is on his wine-list...I just never got round to trying it. He promised it was good...and it is. Just perfect with Veal Schnitzel and new potatoes.
Ewald Kopp Spätburgunder trocken 'S' 2007
Baden, Germany
A property that gets better and better...
The best wines are matured in new barriques for up to 24 months.
This is a wine that compares itself to bright long days.
Just delicious...a lovely whiff...aromatic...dark fruits...cherries...perfect weight...delicate...
you could almost 'gulp' this...don't you dare...not when I am looking...touch of acidity to liven up a rounded finish.
Points 17.25

1 comment:

Edward said...

Barry,

I have the turn the volume down when watching the soccer, it's like there are a swarm of blowflies in my living room. . .

The days are getting darker in the South, I'm looking forward to the winter solstice passing so at least I can tell my self the days are once again getting longer.