Saturday, April 10, 2010

To Ebay Or Not To Ebay

That is the question!
Whether 'tis nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of disappointment in the search for a bargain.
Shakespeare may be turning in his grave at my misuse of his most famous 'phrase'. Hamlet liked a glass or two...and would maybe be checking the internet auction house if he were around.
Until recently...I only bought wines from merchants...but out of curiosity I checked Ebay. The secret of any auction, of course, is to set the price that is CHEAPER than it would be bought elsewhere...and...to really want it...and not to buy for the sake of it! Here a couple purchased...both something I would want to try anyway...and bought below the standard price.

Ö
konomierat Rebholz Im Sonnenschein Spätburgunder 2003
Pfalz, Germany

To be honest...I was hoping for a touch more here. The vintage has it's ups & downs...and wine-lovers are split...due to the heat that year. When it works...it works well. Here...the heat and alcohol are taking over...aroma not very forthcoming...a touch malty maybe...the palate is soft, with some burnt vanilla...seems flat...and the second bottle I bought will go back to Ebay.

Points 16.25
PS....I particularly like the photo...newly planted flowers in the garden...the sun is back from it's LONG hibernation...the world loo
ks a better place...

Adeneuer Ahrweiler Rosenthal

Spätburgunder GG 2007
Ahr, Germany
I already had a bottle of this...recently purchased...but on Ebay I bought it for € 10,-- less...so...a plus for lil ol' me! Very Burgundian nose...which is strange for the property...as they don't have to copy the French...they make wonderful wines...the whole range. Perfect balance...and the GG quality just sticks it's head up and says..'.See Me Smell Me Taste Me'..I can compete with any Pinots this world has to offer'...at least...that's what it said to me...maybe I am a good listener!
Some plum and dark cherry...'thick' top fruit...complex...intense...infantile to drink now...not because it is not pleasurable...just that it will get better and better. That second bottle will be put away for a while..I promise...hold me to it...if you see any notes in the next two years you can kick my butt!
Points 17.75
PS...strangely...the other bottle has 'trocken' on the label...

No comments: