Sunday, February 14, 2010

Asparagus Asperge Spargel

The English, French & German versions are in the title....but here we have some 'los espárragos '. The best white Asparagus grows in Germany...May to June..and to be honest...after that period is over..it is coming out of my ears. My wife loves it....I much prefer the green version. Anyway....I am a believer...if possible..to eat fruit and vegetables when they are in 'season'. My wife obviously couldn't wait for 'Spargel Allemagne'...and the local supermarket had some from Peru...and so it was...that on a Friday evening..I needed fluid to drink with them. Pinot Noir...no...not even I would try that. Chardonnay is perfect.....but I didn't want anything over-oaked....so how about an Austrian.

Domaine Wachau Grüner Veltliner Terraces 2008
Wachau, Austria
Pale colour.....a crisp wine with a tropical feel...melons...and peach...this is not alluring to be anything more than a basic GV....but here lies the appeal...it paired nicely with the asparagus and I had a piece of spicy cheese afterwards..and the spices of the wine lit up the palate...silky texture....and this is a delicious all-rounder.
Points 16.5

No comments: