Saturday, October 20, 2007

Sushi & Veltliner

Daughter and 'hubby' came round with a '''small''' selection of Sushi.

What to drink?..
something white with
character and fruit.

Stadt Krems Gruner Veltliner Weinzierlberg 2006
Kremstal, Austria

Sealed with the new glass closures.
Enticing nose of fresh apples, minerally, smoke; spicy and fresh on the palate..






great match with the Sushi, perfect balance..and a good finish..one of the best GV I have tasted.

Points 16.5




















After all that fish...we needed a red wine.

Urbezo Reserva 1999
Cariñena, Spain
Made from Cabernet Sauvignon, Carinena and Merlot.
I was excited after opening this..
I had caught a 'whiff' (always gets me going)...
medium deep in colour with lightening brown rim;
the promised eucalyptus that I had smelled..
was just about still there, some vanilla, smoky,
the Cabernet aroma reminding me of wonderful Bordeaux.
The taste..well..at first it seemed it could match the big intro I gave it..but the wine seemed to crash in the glass...became really very dry...and the aftertaste thatone would expect..just didn't happen.
As with Riojas of this age.. I open and drink..
as I find they dry out as well...pity..maybe a
younger version would show better as
this Bodega is rated highly.

Points 16

No comments: