Monday, October 08, 2007

A glass of Valpolicella please

When was the last time you drank a Valpolicella? The last time you ate at a cheap Italian Restaurant maybe..well..it was with me..but I am going back yonks now...the old days when the only wines were on the menu card..all by the glass..2 whites..a Frascati and a Soave...and 3 reds..a Chianti (from a straw covered-bottle which later turned in a candlestick ) a Lambrusco and a Valpolicella. All of them wonderful.....examples of bad wine.
I decided I would try this one..fairly priced at under 10 Euros.
Corte Giara Ripasso Valpolicella Superiore 2004
Veneto, Italy

The Ripasso technique is produced in October and the wine undergoes a second fermentation on the Amarone lees in February.
Medium deep colour; rough earthy aromas; chunky thick fruit, chewy tannins...if you want elegance..forget it...slightly bitter aftertaste..which I have never enjoyed in the rare Amarone wines I have tried..not a bad wine..just something I would not order or buy again...
Points 15
This maybe needed meat (or a bad Italian Veal Saltimbocca from one of those restaurants)..but my wife can't do the latter badly..so I ended up with Pasta and 2 types of mushrooms.

No comments: