Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Right Decision


It is summer...but there is a breeze around...which means in the daytime it is pleasant...but evenings too cool to sit out.
The plan was for Wednesday 18 June...but it did not work out. Next day was a national holiday in Germany 'Fronleichnam'...roughly translated 'Happy Cadaver'!
England were to play Uruguay in the World Cup...but wife, daughter and son-in-la wanted to go out for the evening. I love wine and food as much as football...so I agreed. We called our favourite Italian 'La Fattoria'...and arrived to feel the sun still warming so we sat outside....


Daughter Bianka

Son-in-Law Jochen
I wanted to drink a bottle of white from their list...and follow that with a bottle of my own. I told owner Chester to please open it. He obviously forget...more later.
We never order from the menu list...Chester comes along and reels off what is on offer...you concentrate...order...and wait for the next selections.
I chose an octopus salad....a half portion of linguine with truffel..and a Perlhuhn (Guinea Fowl) for the main course. My white was the planned marriage for the latter.


A Selection of Starters

Octopus Salad
Jermann Vintage Tunina 2011
Friaul, Italy

The wine-list has the other top Jermann white 'Dreams'...but I have drank it a few times...so decided on this mix of Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay and Ribolla.

The initial impression is a light...mainly SB style...but with an hour it opened up...showing a creamy texture...bananas and hay on the nose...never overdoing it...well-balanced in fact. Not a cheap wine..and some would say overpriced...
restaurant was € 64,--  which is a fair mark-up. Vintage 2010 was listed...but I try not to get irritated when the next vintage pops up.  Remember Bavarian holiday....
Points 17


Linguine with Truffel

F.X. Pichler Grüner Veltliner Smaragd
Dürnsteiner Kellerberg 2009
Wachau, Austria

Pulled this out of the celler...took a photo in the sunshine...packed it cold...and it arrived cool at the restaurant. 'Open it up'...I had requested...but it got lost in all the greetings.
When I asked for the wine 2 hours later...Mr. Cork was still firmly in the hole!
Not the wine's fault...and it was very good...but it needed air to whisk away the still lingering baby fat. Great nose of course...all honey...some petrol...and the palate is medium to full...perfect with the Guinea Fowl...and enough minerality to give it a try with a good Havana cigar
Points 17.5





Guinea Fowl

Bianka's Lamb
The waiter asked why I was there...me being English. I said I loved food and wine as much as football..and my three guests know nothing about it. He nodded...and at half-time...even though I said I would be recording it...gave me a downward look which meant 'The English Are Going Home'. They lost 2-1...so my choice of eating out was not a bad one.

No comments: