Thursday, December 24, 2009

And On The Third Day...

And on the third day.......here some notes on two whites..very different in style....

Day 1
Bertrand Darviot Meursault
Château de la Velle 2007

Burgundy, France
I used to drink lots of Meursault...about 20 years ago when it seemed readily available. It was my favourite white Burgundy. It seems to have disappeared (into cellars of rich new wine lovers) or maybe the French don't let us have it anymore. I remember some Coche-Dory that was unforgettable. A recent Decanter article stating that the 2007 vintage was to bee's knees (a saying my mum uses to say the best).. I tried to find some..and this bottle was found.


Green tinges...steely...the usual nuttiness..very approachable..and with some citrus..good..but didn't exactly have me running back for more.
Points 16.25

Day 2
Franz Prager
Gruner Veltliner Smaragd Achleiten 2007
Wachau, Austria
Mmmmmmm...this is good...classic GV in that it is slap-bang in the middle as styles go. Spicy, minerally..and a touch of ripe banana sweetness...cream and crackle...loads of white pepper feel to this one..and a fine finish.
Points 17.5







Day 3
Tried the remains of the Meursault again...and found some nuances that I had missed...and thought maybe Points 16.5.
I then tried the rest of the Grüner Veltliner and the poor Meursault got blown away!

No comments: