Friday, November 10, 2006

Knipser Vineyards Rheinland Pfalz Part 1

Five years ago you would not have found me near any German wines..let alone a red..and I have lived in Germany since 1975! But man.. what a change over those 5 years.. I love German Rieslings..and I also loved Burgundy(love I mean..but the prices)..and Pinot Noir is a secret love(don't tell my wife). Recently I have been tasting Spätburgunder wines from Baden..but on a recent short vacation I found a wine from Knipser Vineyards in Rheinland Pfalz..a Cuvee X 2003(Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot & Cabernet Franc..tasting notes will follow). I contacted the company and ordered the Cuvee X and some singles bottles to taste.

Knipser Großkarlbacher Burgweg Spätburgunder
Auslese Trocken 2003
Medium deep, light rimmed(typical Pinot); raspberry nose,cinnamon was my wife's comment and she does not drink red wines(drank a fair size glassful after smelling it),intense nose developed in the glass; wonderful mouthful, rich & full, long finish. Superb..who needs Burgundy.
Points 18.5


Price was €uros 26..considering the quality.. a bargain


Knipser Mergelweg Spätburgunder
Auslese Trocken 2003
Drunk this the following evening...Deeper colour; BIGGER intense nose, not as forthcoming as the Burgweg; superb. sweet mouthful, complex, chewy soft tannins; this needs a couple of years, but has so much potential.
Points 17.5 +++ ....a point more in 2008

No comments: