Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Kosher Winner

The gap between the last meeting and this one...had been over 5 weeks...as I had been on holiday.
Same venue...but this time inside...the weather for the garden was just too cool. With that in mind...two of us...Robert and myself...had opted to bring reds...the white was down to Volker.


Ökonomierat Rebholz Riesling Im Sonnenberg 2008
Pfalz, Germany

This reminded me so much of a Riesling from Alsace...that up-front fruit...then the dryish finish.
Wrong of course. After a guess from Robert of the Mosel area...I opted for the Pfalz....because of the border to Alsace. Then, after much further guessing...we ended up at Rebholz. This 'lesser' vintage is squeezed between two top vintages...but I always feel that wines show what they are made of...without being over-helped by perfect conditions. It went admirably with the Flammkuchen. The strong Grapefruit finish softened with air and the wine showed good balance. Volker always brings a good Riesling to our meetings.
Points 16.75




Tzora Vineyards Misty Hills 2009
Judean Hills, Israel

At our last meeting I had been fairly successful guessing Robert's Riesling from Australia.
He was not going to make the same mistake again.
We started with Europe...answer NO...New World...answer NO...then had a discussion as to what the New World means. It did not help...we finally had to give up...which pretty much satisfied Robert. He felt 'kosher.' I thought it was a 'schlamassel'
What we did manage to guess...was the main grape...Cabernet Sauvignon(70%)...and that it was a Cuvée...but the other grape just never occured to us. Syrah(30%) was the answer. The colour was quite deep with young purple...the nose was spicy...eucalyptus...dark fruits...earthy. The palate...with the 18 months in French oak barrels...revealed a smoothness and lovely blackberries...easy tannins...and a fine finish.
Very good.
Points 17.5


Now...all I need to do for my choice next time round...is find a vineyard on the moon....Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon Cuvée...and wait for Robert to start guessing!
 
My choice had been tried a few years ago Pinot Perfection
It had been a hit...so time to try the last bottle from my cellar.
Fritz Wassmer Spätburgunder XXL 2009
Baden, Germany

The nose enticed...they easily guessed Pinot...and Baden...but I was not trying too hard this time round.  This had won a trophy way back when. Maybe after the lithe wine above...this showed less elegance...and probably needed more acidity. The style is typical Fritz Wassmer...I generally prefer the reds from brother Martin.
Points 17



I had packed the half-bottle in my rucksack...and halfway through the Wassmer...asked if I should open it.

Silly question really. My 'Butler's Friend' easily removed the cork.
Chateau Latour 1971
Pauillac, France
Dry tobacco, cedar...still drinkable...but in the half-bottle...a few years too late. 


Volker left to catch a train.
Robert went to the bus stop.

I walked 400 yards back home.


No comments: