Thursday, February 02, 2012

My Style Of Wines

I have stated before, many times, that my favourite whites come from Austria...and reds...from Germany.
If you want proof...here four bottles tasted, enjoyed and divulged over the past few days.

Erwin Sabathi Sauvignon Blanc
Merveilleux 2009
South Styria, Austria
Pure gloss on opening...intense flinty, nutty, spiky minerals, salty, loved this at once....and I give these wines 24 hours...next day...still very good...but the baby-fat was gone...pity...
needs time...
Points 17.25









F.X. Pichler Grüner Veltliner
Smaragd Loibner Berg 2002

Wachau, Austria
I purchased this bottle on Ebay along with the same vintage 'M'....both for € 60,--
Was there a reason the seller was offering it?....one way to find out. My wife had cooked some fish in a mustard sauce.
Colour...pale gold...hope for me then. Nose...gorgeous...stone fruits, citrus, apricots...some petrol....a Grüner for Riesling drinkers!





No sign of age...vanilla, pepper, still with a thrilling dose of minerals...I may be going over the top...and it may be a wine for the advanced drinker ( after 35 years I belong in that group)...
If this is good...then the 'M' should be excellent as well.
Points 18


...and so to the reds....and a property not tried before.
Not available on any merchant's list...so I emailed them over Xmas...and waited and waited. The middle of January I received an apology...saying they had been on holiday.
I ordered the two below and asked if they also had an odd bottle of the 2009 Marienthaler Trotzenberg which showed out-of-stock on their list.
I heard no more...until a 6-pack arrived with the invoice. In this day and age of payment up front (which I understand being in business)....it is refreshing that someone trusts someone. The money was transferred next day....which is part of the essential ritual to keep the trust chain going.


Paul Schumacher
Patience Spätburgunder 2009

Ahr, Germany
Lazy showing on opening...but give this an hour and you will be rewarded.
Medium colour....super aromas of forest berries and some cherry...great balance here...sweet Pinot fruit with a touch of cream....
Patience on the label...but this is enticing now...but...I gave it 'patience' and drank the rest next day...still in great form.
Love the style...
Points 17.5



Paul Schumacher
Walporzheimer Kräuterberg Spätburgunder 2009

Ahr, Germany
Explosion of soft, oaky vanilla....smokey...a little tight on day one. A few squirts of gas, pop in the cork....into the fridge....next day...take it out 2 hours before drinking...out with the cork.
The gas seems to help...but my guess is the wine would have needed the air anyway. Nose more complex...palate earthy, vibrant acidity, crackly tannins...this is a real pleasure.
Points 17.75




Drink the Patience now and over the next two years...and try this again in 2014

No comments: