Thursday, August 06, 2009

Wake The Piano Player

I first tried Becker's 2005 Sankt Paul last September...and was very impressed...I bought 3 bottles..and opened another (impatient lover of wine)..it was not special....worrying in fact..but maybe an off-bottle. After the recent 2006 version where I stated it was said to be better than 2005...to which Lyle commented..'Bold Words'...I decided to open another bottle of the '05...with the memory of the 2006 still with me.
Friedrich Becker Spätburgunder Schweigener
Sankt Paul Grosses Gewächs trocken 2005
Pfalz, Germany
This is just so SOFT on the nose...can't remember a wine with so much cream and vanilla...the palate is also very pure cream...just a gentle tannic wall...but it seems to be lacking....maybe a touch more backbone...I felt like giving the Hotel piano player a nudge..to wake him...It has multi-developed over the last 6 months. The 2005 is a very 'customer friendly' vintage..and this is soft & silky...but the 2006 is turning out to be a bit of a grower....and if I had compared side-by-side...then this would have been 2nd best.
Points 17.5

The food was a filet steak and the vegetable & sliced potatoes from the oven

No comments: