Saturday, February 09, 2008

Red Sky Means Good Wines

Mixed weather at the moment..sometimes we get red sky in the morn'...which means rain...
Rain sky at night..shepherd's delight...and so I got on my bike and cycled to our local bistro.

Robert, Volker & lil 'ol me...we meet up at Bistro Mitch..they pay the food.. I bring the wines.

This time round..a white I have had before..was new to them both...Banfalu.
The main wines were red..served blind..they have to work while I grin..


Aldinger Fellbacher Lämmler ***

Lemberger 2005
Württemberg, Germany
This spends 16 months in new oak barrels.
Opened before the guests arrived...and after pulling the cork I was hit by a gorgeous smell...oh man..they will enjoy this one.

Medium deep colour...then the nose..spices & herbs..thick black cherry aroma..some cedar and walnuts..tobacco and vanilla; you would expect a BIG mouthful..but this is instantly cool...fine oak balance..continuing the great start..perfect weight and the finish lasted 60 seconds.
Points 17.75+




Rudolf Fürst Spätburgunder
Centgrafenberg 'R' 2004
Franken, Germany

Chosen to follow the Lemberger..me thinking it would outclass it..how wrong I was.
We compared them..and no way did the first wine suffer.

Medium deep with pale rim..strawberry mousse aromas..creamy..(15 months in 100% new French oak)...deep and meaty character, with smoky minerality coming through..palate was intense and long with ripe tannins. Certainly very good..and my guess is I would have marked it higher..if drunk by itself..but there was that Lemberger....

Points 17.5+



The Lemberger is 15 Euros cheaper..nuff said.


No comments: