Tuesday, September 28, 2010

88 Pointers

Two wines with similar scores in Gault Millau...88 Points
I find I buy a lot of 89 Pointers...mostly good value...but here I would give the first 87 and the second 89....but it's always down to the styles you like.
Weingut Andreas Laible
Durbacher Plauelrain Spätburgunder
Spätlese trocken 2008

Baden, Germany
The property with the most 'prizes' in the whole of Baden-Württemberg....primarily with their Riesling wines.
The red wine...is a side-line...but serious enough to be tried. This is the 'smaller' of the two they offer. I also purchased the 2009 'S'
This costs € 14.50....and for the money you get a little rawness on the nose...earthy maybe...and on the palate...rustic...needs a a few months maybe...brambly fruit...a red wine from a white wine King?...
Points 15.

Weingut Ewald Kopp
Spätburgunder trocken
Alte Reben 2007

Baden, Germany
To quote Gault Millau 'weak wine is not made here'...and I wholeheartedly agree. The recent Chardonnay was delicious and the top red a benchmark wine.
Friend Volker had called...one of the bottles I had brought back for him..had been drank..and he was impressed. Reason to try it myself. More instantly appealing than the Laible...yes...I know the vintage is 'sexy'...but my guess is Kopp would make any vintage 'erotic'. Complex red berry aromas...cream...old vines here...35 years old...and the palate threw up a delicious layer of slightly sweetish fruit...and a lovely dollop of vanilla. As it aired...it spread it's shoulders and has a good backbone...slightly smoky after a while...and the next day was all there...and with a trace of liquorice and a good finish. One of those wines that from start to finish are harmonious. A bargain at € 13.50...and a property to watch.
Points 16.5

No comments: