Wednesday, April 08, 2009

A Lumberjack & His Hermitage

Food at home..my wife prepared some tasty food..Volker & Robert came round. Volker brought along the white.......














Chateau Tuilerie Eole Blanc 2007

Costières-de-Nîmes, Languedoc, France
A cuvee of 40% Rolle, 20% Viognier, 10% Grenache Blanc..with Rousanne, Marsanne & Clairette making up the rest...grown on sandstone soil..only 4000 bottles were produced..so there will be 3999 that can be enjoyed as much as I did. Fresh sparkling colour..green tinges...a wild aroma...you can feel the countryside...reserved nutty bouquet...and some citrus fruit...but it's the taste that wins it points...it fairly explodes onto the palate..loads of minerals bouncing about..and an intense creaminess..and a good long finish..you gotta go back for more....excellent wine.
Points 17.75

Both reds decanted 2 hours before drinking













Jamet Côte-Rôtie 1988
Rhône, France
Firm cork...medium deep colour with brown rim..mature...an intense nose..with some leather and barnyard...not for 'new' wine drinkers...but the old school loved this....would the taste match....well..at first it showed dry..the tannins are dry..but with food is showed well....softening the acidity...this was probably at it's peak about 3 years ago..but still interesting....so the last bottle I have needs drinking soon..
Points 17.25





Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle 1978
Rhône, France
Cork disintegrated...essential to decant whether you wanted to or not...milky colour...an instant smell of mushrooms..pepper..medicinal aroma..grilled meats..still very complex.....tobacco....very ripe fruit integrated in bed of ripe tannins.....no sign of breaking up...a wild, minerally feel....spices and dried cherries..this could age another 10 years...the way it evolved in the glass suggests a longer decant next time......I still have 2 more bottles...BUT..also 3 half-bottles..which need drinking. Parker gave this 100 points......now....I have drunk the 1961..which was worth that..this falls a little behind...but then again...the decanter was emptied..and maybe it would have improved even more..I'll let you know when I open the next bottle...
Points 18.75

My wife buys me shirts...and this was a first-time-of wearing. Monty Python's Lumberjack song came to mind...with a slight change of lyrics..
''I'm A Lumberjack and I'm all right...I work all day and I drink at night''....

2 comments:

Joe said...

"on Wednesdays I go shopping, and have foie gras with SB"

Barry said...

It'll never be a hit Joe...but it's me all over...