Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Eve Indulgence

In Germany it's Christmas Eve when we have our celebratery meal.
The children!!( all in their 40's)
come over and we laugh and guzzle
.

















This year we had platters of Smoked Salmon,
Shrimps, Bean Sa
lad, Tello Tonnato,
Marinated Prawns and a Paprika Terrine.
Enough to feed a regiment..
(I
think my wife worked in an elite canteen
in an earlier life..maybe around the time of
Oliver Twist..he was
always asking for more)
To ensure a smoothness from starter to main
course (Veal Steaks and Pasta) with the wines..
I chose the Islander White..followed by
Fritz
Wassmer's Spätburgunder
Rotwein 'R' 2004
and finished with the
Solanera
Bodegas Castano 2004.
The reds I have tried before so I'll just note the white...


The Islander Estate
Wally White Semillon/Viognier 2005
Kangaroo Island, South
Australia
With the diverse food..I always like to have a slightly exotic wine and the Viognier on the label decided me. Then I checked..only 5%...the rest being Semillon..Screwcap off..first smell..really delicious..smokey, new oak.
This is a cool climate wine..so no Aussie Headbasher here..some elegance and the acidity keeps it lively and crsip..and the Viognier kept it a perfect match for the food.
James Halliday..well-known wine critic...gave this 94/100...
I wouldn't go as far as that but
Points 17

PS..the Wassmer went perfectly with the smoked salmon....

No comments: