Monday, November 05, 2007

French Spätburgunder

What with the short holiday break..then the cold I had afterwards...there were bottles 'en masse' in the cellar to be tried. On top of that..couldn't do my
Radio Show due to technical difficulties...so some form of compensation was needed...and after much thought I decided on one of the bottles I had purchased while in Baden.
Weingut Wassmer Spätburgunder
Rotwein 'R' 2004
trocken, Barrique
Baden, Germany

Decided to purchase this after reading that 'Gault Millau' had voted Fritz Wassmer as 'Find Of The Year 2005'
Pale-rimmed (boring I know..but most are). VERY French in style...if I had tasted blind..I would have chosen Burgundy. Lovely strawberry nose..still reserved and should develope. On the palate much more to enjoy...really lovely mouthful of ripe fruit..silky & 'sweetish' as all good Pinot's are..but of course dry..just about the right weight—held beautifully as you roll it around...and the finish was long and capped a really good glass of my favourite grape. This is the first 2004 that I have raved about...and I have no choice but to give it
Points 18.5



Checking out more about Herr Wassmer..he spent a long time in Burgundy learning about the grape..and had gotten to know someone who had worked with Domaine Romanee-Conti...so my first impression was about right..and he most definitely has a winner here.

1 comment:

Volker said...

Hallo Barry,
ich hätte Lust auch mal wieder einen Pinot mit Dir zu trinken! Gruss Volker