Thursday, December 13, 2007

Genie from Portugal

Back in the early 90's I used to go on holiday to the Algarve in Portugal. I took my time driving across France and Spain..stopping off and visiting some wonderful eating places. The car was full of our luggage (my wife flew there)...and also there were a couple of cases of wine. Most of the restaurants on the Algarve had a half-decent Vinho Verde..but no real good red wines. So..with my own wine..I was never dissappointed in all the restaurants we visited. Pay corkage and be happy I say...altho owners thought I was 'loony' and never bothered to charge..
It was only to the end of our visits to Portugal in the mid 90's that I noticed a few wine shops with some excellent red wines. This saved me taking any wines with me...I just bought them there and took them to the restaurants. We are talking about a golfing area here...and many visitors would be happy with a house wine...but I want a good wine no matter what I eat .. or where... etc.

In an English run restaurant...which had an adventurous wine-list for the period..I first drank an Esporão wine..and was instantly impressed....so..I was pleased to get hold of the following bottle...


Esporão Reserva 1999
Herdade do Esporão

Reguenos de Monsaraz
Alentejo, Portugal

Medium deep colour; instant rich nose..some spices and herbs and a touch of oak to rein in the masculine style of Portugal. After 30 minutes in the glass..the components knitted together nicely and gave a flavoursome wine with good
fruit..tannins a little robust...but try it with a veal steak (as I did)..and it is perfect.
Points 17+




Can't remember the turbanned gent

being on the label...maybe he
was the
genie in the bottle..

No comments: