Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Tegernseerhof Duo

A wine can be great, very good, good, or ordinary. It can also be influenced by things around it. The weather, good friends, poor food...a list of things that influence you when trying to be objective.
Nothing disastrous will follow...just a small thing that makes a big difference.

I had tried the Grüner Veltliner on holiday...and had been impressed. Very good quality for the price.

Back home I searched for the wine...and managed to find 4 bottles. To make up the case I took 2 of the Riesling. 



Saturday evening...God and The World were going to watch Brazil at the World Cup. I am a soccer fan...but good friends are like gold...so we decided...the 4 of us...to go our local Bistro.
The game would normally have finished at 8 pm but there was extra time and penalties...which meant if you watched it all...9.15pm earliest in any restaurant. We were alone (I know 4 is not 'alone') but you know what I mean!. No other customers...but the food was excellent...see the mixed starter...and I opted for some Red Snapper.


I had taken along the two bottles the previous day...and they had been opened...unscrewed...2 hours before we arrived.
Thinking...starter need some minerals...I chose the Riesling first.

The GV with the Snapper
Perfect decision...but you cannot be right all of the time!


Tegeenseerhof Riesling Steinertal Smaragd 2011
Wachau, Austria

A delight...stone fruits with a touch of citrus...zippy attractive acidity...quite full but still fleeet of foot...it loved the sea food and I loved IT!
Points 17.5




Tegeenseerhof Grüner Veltliner Loibenberg Smaragd 2011
Wachau, Austria

Gave this 17.75 on holiday
Soft....smooth...but seemed to suffer after the uplifting Riesling. Not it's fault..
Points...a tentative 17...but will open another bottle...on it's own.

Two days later...much better without any 'outside' influence...
Points 17.25

So my point is proved...3 different tasting...all in different surroundings...
I would love to go on holiday again and try it...which you can understand in more ways than one.

No comments: