Saturday, January 09, 2010

Reliable Alzinger

Leo Alzinger Grüner Veltliner
Loibner Steinertal Smaragd 2003
Wachau, Austria
The 2004 vintage had impressed.....and the style of Alzinger is much to my liking. The year before...2003...was like many throughout Europe....could be good...but sometimes a touch too 'hot & heavy'. I'm pleased to report that Alzinger's version reins in that heat...slates and steel...apricot bouquet...honey melon....the 'vintage' weight just nicely integrated with bouncy acidity. I preferred the 2004..but this was, nevertheless, a delight.
Points 16.75
PS...I am off to England for a holiday...snow everywhere...looking forward to visiting my mum...and some old friends from my misspent youth. I will no doubt be taking in some restaurants and drinking fine wines....will try to report from underway....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which part of the UK Barry?

Alberta Bob

Barry said...

North of Manchester...near Blackpool..is where my Mum lives....

My old friends live in Bristol...