Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Solo Comparative Tasting Of The Greens

In the early days of drinking whites...the taste of oak appealed....it's a young drinker's thing I guess...but over the years I grew to dislike the oaked Chardonnay....
Riesling I love when the acidity is not too dominant...difficult to please aren't I?...
So maybe the wine gods were thinking of me when they produced a grape called Grüner Veltliner....
Young or old.. I love the style...particularly the mid to top range..and when young..the acidity is reserved...and with age...there is rarely a lip smacking fruit bomb. They are perfect for my tastes..and I am slowly working my way through a whole bunch...
How do you do a comparative tasting if you are drinking alone (not 'alone' alone..my wife is there...but 'alone' as in the only one drinking..is that clear?). Well..you could open all three bottles you have chosen...drink them empty..remembering to call the hospital in advance of your intentions. Second choice..the same..but refrain from overdoing it (my usual limit is 0.5 litre unless I am out with friends for a meal over 3-4 hours). Third is how I like to do it..especially with whites. Open the first of your choice...leave the rest until the next day to see how it has developed with the second bottle awaiting. Third day the same proceedure as before....which leaves you a small amount on the fourth day..which may be needed to add to some sauce if your wife is so inclined. And so it was that I compared 3 Smargad 2004's.

Leo Alzinger Grüner Veltliner
Loibner Steinertal Smaragd 2004
Wachau, Austria
The first impression....tropical fruit with a delicate cream..enticing smell..silky flavoured..the acidity is low due to the vintage...but it still lifts the wine to make you go back for more..'take me again' it says....there is a citrus layer...this is a lighter style for a Smaragd..and just about perfect at 5 years old.
Points 17.25 € 22,--





Emmerich Knoll Gruner Veltliner Smaragd Ried Loibenberg 2004
Wachau, Austria
When viewing what's in the glass with GV's..90% of the time I could write...'colour..yellow-green'..well..this is a light yellow gold..and it takes a while to show off it's smelly side..the palate is more rounded...the impression of the whole is of greengage plums...some spices pepping it up..and the 2004 less acidity feel....
Points 17 € 23,--





Franz Prager Gruner Veltliner Smaragd Achleiten 2004
Wachau, Austria
This is more Grapefruit than most...you could think this was Sauvignon Blanc...and the acidity more dominant than the previous two..very steely and grassy...and minerals to the fore...
Points 16.75 € 25,--








So..who won?..well..me..as a drinker....and the three just about covered most styles...The Alzinger I thought very good as the balance was perfect.

2 comments:

Italian Wine Blog said...

Snap!

Reviewed the same wine on the same day with an utterly different outcome!

Interesting to read though Barry.

Barry said...

Same wine..different vintage.....