Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Grüner Veltliner

The 6-packs from a previous post included one with Austrian Wines. The main reason I started the package was to try some of Austria's Grüner Veltliner. Not sure if Joe included it in his obscure grape tastings..if not..I will accommodate here. After all the Rieslings over the summer..I craved for an alternative.
Emmerich Knoll Grüner Veltliner
Federspiel Kreutles 2007 Wachau, Austria
Don't you just love the old style label......
GV's always have a touch of smoke..and here it is very evident..very
attractive...yellow apple smell..a 'warm' spiciness with reserved acidity.. 12.5 Alcohol...this is full without being 'full'..and dry without being 'dry'..if you see what I mean. Do I detect a taste of bananas or am I going bananas? Plenty of character and a thoroughly enjoyable bottle...what appealed to me personally..was the unobtrusive acidity. I tried the rest next day with a medium horseradish sauce..it held up very well.
Points 16.5

3 comments:

Joe said...

Love that label Barry. I tasted Gruner years ago, many times, no need to call it "obscure" - quite fashionable, you know. Had one recently, but I found it, well, not a Riesling...

David McDuff said...

Knoll makes some fantastic wines, Barry. The only problem is -- and this applies to most other top Austrian producers' wines as well -- that they've doubled in price in the last five years. It used to be that you could pick up a good quality Federspiel in the high teens and a Smaragd in the mid twenties. Now we're talking thirty-ish for most Federspiel and 45+ for Smaragd....

Barry said...

David..I guess the price of 13 Euros will make you even more envious.....