Saturday, November 24, 2007

A Little Bit Of Spice Does You Good

It's been a while since I had a good South African...Glen Carlou was the only memorable one I can remember...the reds have been mostly 'wannabe's'..never really doing it for me..so it's nice to report....

Spice Route Malabar 2003
Malmesbury, South Africa

The blend varies from vintage to vintage..
this one is 72% Shiraz, 11% Pinotage,
11% Mourvedre, 4.5% Grenache, 0.5% Viognier
(which to me makes only 99%...
did the vineyard dog add the rest?)
Deep crimson red; very attractive nose of ripe plums, some marzipan, spices and a 'freshness' that begs you to go back to it; upfront fruit...quite rich with healthy acidity.My fears on another 'South African Bulldog' proved ungrounded.. this is a fine example of how South Africa is maybe now getting it right at the premium level.

Points 17.5

No comments: