Monday, November 13, 2006

Knipser Vineyards Rheinland Pfalz Part 2

Continuing the tastings of Knipser's wines....................


Knipser Grauburgunder ****
Barriqueausbau Trocken 2003
Medium deep colour, rather like Apfelwein(Cider):ripe pear aroma, fresh; flavour much more dominant than the nose, peachy with a soft explosion at the finish; perfect balance of fruit and oak, exotic. Enjoyed this wine..but not sure I would want to drink it regularly
Points 16.5





Knipser Cuvée X Trocken Barriqueausbau 2003
As I mentioned in the previous post..I first tried this in March in a half bottle at the Restaurant Clos St Urban.I wanted the half bottle of Lynch-Bages 2001.Pauillac..but was told it was sold out
so ordered this wine. It was decanted
and
I thought they had found the Lynch-Bages.
A dead ringer..

I ordered some half bottles from the vineyard but was sent the normal size.
As I usually only manage 2/3 of a bottle..I hoped any opened bottles would last until the next day.
Deep colour; dark fruits on the nose with that typical cedar aroma of Cabernet Sauvignon, elegant; quite full-flavoured, perfect balance with the Merlot. The wine has 14% but never feels 'heady'. With this first 'bottle' I need not have worried about it holding overnight...I finished it!
Points 18

No comments: