Saturday, October 06, 2012

Gemischter Satz

Roughly translated, Gemischter Satz means "mixed matter" which describes the many grapes that are blended together to create these wines. To qualify as a Gemischter Satz, the grapes must be grown in the same vineyard and produced together. This type of “Field Blend” production style was common in Austria after the First World War. The economy was down and farmers needed to ensure that they would make a profit despite any harsh weather conditions. They decided to plant a variety of different grapes in a single vineyard, and blend the grapes together to make the highest quality of wine. Having a diverse grape portfolio helped the farmers to prevent risk during poor harvests. Gemischter Satz has become a very popular wine, and its unique profile and history is still celebrated today.
It could lead you to believe it is a way to use up the rest of a harvest...but that would be far from the case here.


Wieninger Gemischter Salz
Alte Reben Rosengartl 2011
Vienna, Austria

The grapes used here are taken from the prime area in the center of the Nußberg. Opened and sipped...and I gazed a the label...I like this old fashioned style. The sip reminds me of something...not that we should ever have to want to compare these wonderful whites from Austria...they stand alone... and while I am thinking...I had a good sniff....pears and some orange peel...leads into a smokey flavour...and that was it for day one...OK...but missing something...not sure yet what it reminded me of. As I repeat often...the young whites from Austria enjoy a night in my fridge...rarely have I be left wishing I had emptied a bottle early. Day 2...and that glossy feel had been joined by fine minerals...taking the flavour a step higher...the Restsüße less dominant...and the wine was juicy and uplifting. Got it...at this moment...it reminded me of a Condrieu...stick with it Barry...your memory is still good. A backdrop of acidity and you could leave this a few years...will only get better.
Points 17.25...and well priced at € 22,--



No comments: