Thursday, September 27, 2012

A Trio Of Goodies

My occasional meeting with Robert & Volker...2 wine friends...both of whom's taste buds I trust.
I asked for marks out of 100...as I was passing them on to a source interested in buying.
All tasted blind
The opener...a real goodie...

Prager Wachstum Bodenstein
Riesling Smaragd 2009
Wachau, Austria

Instant petroleum...I know some hate it....but maybe I am a gas station junkie! Middle green....reminded us of a Chablis in colour....honey melons and peaches once I had had my petrol whiff...crisp citrus....a lovely sweet 'Spätlese' feel...instantly followed by zippy minerals...and a fine dose of acidity
Points 94  / 100 from all of us

 
Joachim Hollerith Maikammer Heiligenberg
Maximus Pinot Noir 2009
Pfalz, Germany

I discovered the Hollerith property a few years ago...and found my buddy Maximus....now I have had the 2005, 2007 and 2008 all of which impressed...but now single bottles only remain.
Buy a few more of the new vintage I thought...so 6 bottles were ordered...although Joachim Hollerith said they had not done the labels yet.  As you can see...this is a 'garage' property for want of another word.
Returning from holiday...I practically met the postman with the package. My secretary claiming I was hardly back home and wine was arriving. What can I say?
Deep young colour...marzipan pure...ripe, rich fruit...dense...the guys were heading for New World...which brought a smile to my lips as Joachim Hollerith had spent many years in the U.S.A.
Now...just to be clear here....this is no heavyweight New World style...in fact...it has a style of it's own..and I love it.
Volker gave it 91...Robert rated it even more...93 Points...I was in between...92...and at € 25,-- is my tip of the year.

Martin Wassmer Pinot Noir GC 2009
Baden, Germany

I recently tried the 2008 which was brilliant...but no longer available...so  the next best thing...vintage 2009.
Deep smokey cherry aroma...complex....youthful...loads of interest here...violets and some tar. The oak is nicely integrated and it is long.
Give it time...
We all marked it with 94 Points...but it costs € 53,-- so you can guess what I am going to say...you can?...then I will save myself the trouble.

As always...Volker supplied some good food...and the cheeses were a perfect reason to go back to the Riesling
.


No comments: