Sunday, March 18, 2012

Wine Moments

Back in the late 70's/early 80's the place to go for something special to eat...was Back then everybody ate Shrimp Cocktail followed by Steak au Poivre whenever they were out to eat something above the average. Mövenpick was a Swiss concern and they served lots of Rösti (fried grated potatoes) and Kalbs Geschnetzeltes(slices of veal in a cream sauce. It was not easy for me to order around the time as it was early in my learning of the German language. They also had a very good wine-list...and I remember well buying the odd bottle of La Tache 1972 every time I had enough Deutsch Marks. It cost 70 of them and was gorgeous. The restaurant chain has long disappeared in Germany...although they still offer wines online. It has been a while...but my wife decided to repeat one of our memories...and she added Shiitake Mushrooms to the mix.
Searching the cellar for a soft red...my eyes lighted on the 2007 from the Weingut Erwin Kopp...and it seemed to be that it was right to drink it. A few days ago I had an email from Karl Hodapp...Rebstock in Waldulm...informing me that Herr Kopp had passed away recently. We had both visited the property about 18 months ago and I had purchased this bottle. Erwin Kopp had been a delightful host...even giving my a bottle of his Sparkling wine to try. He certainly seemed in the best of health. Sad to hear the sad news.
Weingut Ewald Kopp
Spätburgunder trocken 'R' 2007
Baden, Germany

This smells and tastes of forest fruits...wild strawberries...the fruit is vibrant...instantly appealing...no hard work needed here. Ewald Kopp learned his trade at the top property in Baden...Huber. Ewald Kopp has his own 'style'...one you could pick out in the dark. He will be missed.
Points 17.25









Saturday late morning and the sun was with us. Sat out in the square...read the paper...drank my coffee. The first 'event' of the season...was a Spanish group...Hispanos...the singer is also a good cook! With the enjoyable concert still in my mind...I decided on Sunday evening to open a Spanish wine...




Roda Reserve 2004
Rioja, Spain
I remember this showing better a couple of years ago...and as 2004 was a top vintage.
Maybe it needed a touch of the Hispanos to show better. Musky red cherry, tobacco, pencil shavings, some plums...but this bottle was not forthcoming.
Points 16

No comments: