Saturday, April 30, 2011

Rhini

My first experience with the property was the 2002 vintage of the Rhini...in it's early years still very closed...then suddenly...like a flower in spring...it was all there...and really knocked me out. I had bought a few bottles so was able to enjoy it at it's peak. No doubt it is still all there...just not in my cellar. A couple of other vintages have show a tightness of youth...and have begged to be kept. It was with a blogger's dedication that I decided to try the recent released vintage.
Ziereisen Rhini Blauer Spätburgunder 2008
Baden, Germany
Intense sour cherry aroma...full, slightly muscular on opening which slimmed down with airing...thick fruit..and you look at the label thinking alcohol...but only 12,5%...and there seems to be precision even at this young age...very drinkable...which makes me think that Hans-Peter Ziereisen has changed the style slightly...maybe less oak...and with airing (overnight) there was a lingering vanilla touch to the palate. At € 22,--...a must buy.
Points 17

No comments: