Friday, January 21, 2011

Two Pleasing Burgs

Salwey Oberrotweiler
Eichberg
Spätburgunder
Großes Gewächs 2007

Baden, Germany
I was wary opening this...as the RS 2007 had been oak dominated...needing time to even out. I risked it...and was rewarded
Instant appeal from the glass...caramel & vanilla ice-cream. My wife does not drink red wine...but was so fascinated by the smell..she had to taste.
She is still not a red-wine drinker...had me worried for a while...I thought I may get limited supply! A cool feel to it...which pleased me..and the oak is well integrated...and a bouncy acidity propelling the fruit upwards. Very well made...and frighteningly forward...but that happens with some 2007's...two more bottles to try...so leave it to see what developes further.
Points 17.5
­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­____________________________________________________________________















Jakob Sebastian
Heimersheimer Berg

Spätburgunder Alte Rebe 2006
Ahr, Germany
This property has two Spätburgunders...the other being the Ahrweiler Daubhaus. It's also not listed in Gault Millau or Eichelmann...but it exists...see the photo...and read the notes
Peppery...tobacco notes...still some minerality...and a soft tannin layer. Medium weight...this showed well next day with a slightly sweeter bouquet developing.
Points 16.5

1 comment:

The Wine Rambler said...

Glad you liked the Salwey, Barry. I had some of this a little while ago and really enjoyed it. The RS often seems like the best value though.
Torsten